Jul 11, 2009

Baked Caramel French Toast To Die For


To Die For Baked Caramel French Toast!

I fell in love with this breakfast delight after my wife and I spent a long weekend at the Trinchero Winery in Napa Valley. I thought it was bread pudding until the caramel syrup started flowing from underneath the bread. I'm not a big french toast guy, but this one is special!

Besides my Filipino breakfast dishes, this is probably the most popular dish my kids (and their friends) request on weekends. I just leave the dish on top of the counter and everyone just nibbles "small" portions all day.

Below is the recipe from the Trinchero Winery. I cut the butter and brown sugar portion in half, but I will leave that up to home chef to decide on how much to include. 

4 Tbsp. corn syrup
2 sticks of butter
2 cups brown sugar
1 loaf of bread (cinnamon raisin, sweet French, Italian or croissant)
10 eggs (I use 7)
1 3/4 half and half
2 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. salt
Cinnamon

Combine the syrup, butter and brown sugar in a small saucepan and simmer until the sugar is completely dissolved, stirring continuously until mixture is smooth and not too thick. Pour into greased 9" x 13" baking dish and set aside. 

Layer the bread on the syrup in the baking dish; you will need about 12 slices for two layers. In a large bowl, beat together eggs, half and half, vanilla, salt and cinnamon. Cover and refrigerate overnight.

In the morning, remove from the refrigerator while oven is pre-heating to 350 degrees. Bake uncovered for about 45 minutes or until golden brown. Serves 12.



Pour caramel syrup into baking dish


Layer the bread on the syrup


Two layers of bread


Whisk egg batter


Pour egg batter on bread, cover and refrigerate before going to bed


When you wake up, throw the dish in the oven for 45 minutes at 350 degrees

The finished product

No comments: