Apr 10, 2011

DBGB: Daniel Boulud Rocks Manhattan With French-American Brasserie

Niman Ranch Pork Loin Schnitzel
DBGB - Chef Daniel Boulud's hits another home-run with his East Village "lowdown French brasserie meets the classic American tavern." Don't mistake it, DBGB tops the list on the ambiance scale with interiors that make every diner feel like they are having a meal in the chef's kitchen. Besides the open kitchen, floor to ceiling shelvings with kitchen equipment surround the main dining room while the bar area is filled with chef Daniel's favorite culinary quotes written
on the glass walls.
"There are two reasons for drinking; one is, when you are thirsty, to cure it; the other when you are thirsty, to prevent it...prevention is a better cure" Thomas Love Peacock
I just love this place! The brasserie menu items mixed in with a few modern takes on the classics. Fruits de mer, foie gras torchon, saucisson, oysters, charcuterie, and yes, burgers - perhaps, the best burgers in NYC. While waiting in the bar for our tables, the bartender presented the lady next to me with this amazing plate of schnitzel topped with an egg and there was no question that was going to be my dinner.

Every items on the menu was tempting. My daughter Margaux an I shared the Hand-Cut Steak Tartare ($14) with quail egg, grilled ciabatta, cornichons, pickled ramp with a side salad and the Sauteed Burgundy Snails ($14) with garlic, chili, lemongrass & ginger, thai sausage, crispy lotus root and red curry. Leave it to the French when it comes to steak tartare. DBGB's version is as classic as it can get. While I still prefer the traditional escargot with garlic and oil, this Thai style version is a refreshing take - aromatic and silky.

My Niman Ranch Pork Loin Schnitzel ($23) would make my Austrian chef friends tear up. A bone in pork, perfectly breaded with a fried egg on top. I can eat this everyday. Margaux couldn't resist the Frenchie Burger ($17) with a 6 oz beef patty, confit of pork belly, arugula, tomato-onion compote & morbier (my favorite) on a peppered brioche bun and served with cornichons, mustard and crispy fries.

My brother joined us for the latter part of our meal and he shared a dessert with Margaux. They ordered the amazingly light Mymi's Rhubarb Tart ($9) with rhubarb coulis, meringue and rhubarb sorbet.

DBGB was one of the culinary highlights of this trip (the other being our meal at Asiate at the Mandarin Oriental). Chef Daniel is a genius to say the least. He doesn't mess around with pedigree. he is about making people happy with good food and an inviting atmosphere. he definitely achieves that with DBGB.

In cae you were wondering, DBGB stands for Daniel Boulud and the GB is his tribute to New York's CBGB (Country, Blue Grass, Blues) bar.

DBGB
299 Bowery (between Houston and First)
212.933.5300

The bar area with chef Daniel's favorite quotes
Sauteed Burgundy Snails
The open kitchen
Hand-Cut Steak Tartare 
The Frenchie
Open Shelvings fill the interiors
Perfect French Fries
Mymi's Rhubarb Tart
With Chef Daniel at the JW Marriott Marquis Miami opening in 2010

4 comments:

liên minh châu âu said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
liên minh châu âu said...

Toronto Dog WalkingPhonegap Mobile Application Development
STEVE EMBER: Last year, the temperatures at night dropped to thirty degrees below zero Celsius. That was a little warmer than the year before, when temperatures reached negative thirty-seven. One of the cyclists that year, Jason Buffington, remembers seeing a friend who had stopped.

sathya said...

Money doesn't mean anything to me. I've made a lot of money, but I want to enjoy life and not stress myself building my bank account. I give lots away and live simply, mostly out of a suitcase in hotels. We all know that good health is much more important.
just visit www.mydeals247.com

sathya said...

Money doesn't mean anything to me. I've made a lot of money, but I want to enjoy life and not stress myself building my bank account. I give lots away and live simply, mostly out of a suitcase in hotels. We all know that good health is much more important.
just visit www.mydeals247.comMoney doesn't mean anything to me. I've made a lot of money, but I want to enjoy life and not stress myself building my bank account. I give lots away and live simply, mostly out of a suitcase in hotels. We all know that good health is much more important.
just visit www.mydeals247.com