Apr 9, 2011

The Best Little Wine Bar in NYC


One of my favorite aspects of traveling is discovering tucked away local hideouts for conversation and a glass of vino to complement the evening. This is how my brother, daughter and I discovered Ino Cafe & Wine Bar in the West Village. Owners Jason and Jennifer Denton were inspired by the small enoteca's serving great comfort food in Italy after attending a friend's wedding. The result is this 24-seat cafe with a two-butt kitchen, a wide range of Italian wines,
simple food done well and friendly service.

We came in to sample some vino but stayed to try a bowl of olives and their Rabbit Tramezzino with gruyere. I've been reading about Sicilian food and wines so a bottle of of Nero D'Avola Donnata was a perfect introduction to the island's extensive wine offerings. The wine was brash like a big Australian Shiraz with distinct plum & peppery notes. I imagined the rabbit tramezzino as the Italian version of the chicken salad - but bolder. I imagined my wife's grandmother packing this for her dad's lunch when he was in elementary school (along with the thermos of coffee!).

There was no question that Ino is a local gathering spot. There were no ugly Macy's brown bags nor tourists with fanny packs. Just friends and co-workers after another day in the city. I marveled at how the two Mexican cooks whipped out dishes in that microscopic kitchen. The bartender was friendly and attentive without being too obtrusive to the few gathered around his bar.

Ino serves breakfast, lunch and dinner. Wander southwest of Soho and check this cozy place out. You won't regret it.

Ino Cafe/Bar
21 Bedford Street
212.989.5769
Olive Bowl ($6)
Rabbit Tramezzino ($9)
Jesus, one of the two amazing cooks in the small kitchen at Ino

4 comments:

liên minh châu âu said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Sounds pretty nice. Wonder how far away from the Soho hotel this place is... Gogo Google maps!
-Jackie

Unknown said...

I am searching for some best hotel bar in nyc within few days. Please help and give good locations for my party.


sathya said...

Money doesn't mean anything to me. I've made a lot of money, but I want to enjoy life and not stress myself building my bank account. I give lots away and live simply, mostly out of a suitcase in hotels. We all know that good health is much more important.
just visit www.mydeals247.com