Oct 11, 2010

14 Things I learned during ArtPrize



There is no question that ArtPrize 2.0 topped 1.0 in many levels. The crowds were huge every day. Hotels and restaurants were considerably busier throughout the whole 19 day duration and not just the weekends. And the debate about "what is art" is bound to continue just like the debate about the BCS and college football playoffs. ArtPrize is about the joy of witnessing young children peering behind a "pretty scary monk" sculpture. ArtPrize is seeing busloads
of senior citizens underneath a gigantic steamed pig; wondering whatever happened to the still life's of floral vases and portraits of farmers with pitch forks. ArtPrize is always about the "conversation" and not necessarily about whose interpretation of "art" is more qualified to pick the winners. So as we close the books on this year's ArtPrize, here's my own version of what I learned during ArtPrize 2010.

1. In the end, regardless of all the "what is art" debate, the best art wins...

 2. Some artists participate for the love of our city...

 3. I learned that I love taking pictures of empty benches in front of art...



4. And photos of suspended objects...

 5. Some are simply amazing for it's complexity...

 6. And scale really matters in cracking the Top 100...

7. That I am fascinated with artists who collect "stuff" and organize them...


8. Some art are worth a second look...



9. That I'm bound to be disappointed that one my favorites doesn't make the Top 10...

10. That I really didn't care for art carved in wood, made of toothpicks or of animals...



11. That long lines, while daunting, is a pleasant sight in Grand Rapids...

12. That music can invigorate an art crowd...

13. And some pieces are creepy for appearing so real...

14. And finally, conversations about art is always better with a glass of wine. 






4 comments:

Chad Robinson said...

Very good points. I wasn't a huge fan of the wooden pieces myself. As always, great pictures.

atif saleem said...

I will be glad to get any help at the beginning.
hotels manchester

Natasha Ohlman said...

Great pic's of the Art and empty benches! Well said George, I'd agree:) Although, I was a fan of the Toothpick Mermaid and Animal wood carving...just saying:)

My Hotel Life said...

Natasha, Thanks for the comment. I can appreciate all the time and work that went into the creation of the toothpick mermaid and the wood carving, however, it's just personally not my style. See you at Dead-U-Tante Ball?