Aug 9, 2010

Pizza Heaven in Florida!

Fresh mozzarella, sliced tomatoes & basil pizza. 

It's been two days since my first encountered Anthony's Coal-Fired Pizza in Fort Lauderdale, and let me tell you, I am still stuffed! The delicious flavors of the high quality ingredients and the crispiness of the crust still lingers as one of the best pizza's I've ever tasted. Started by Anthony Bruno in 2002, this South Florida institution has expanded to nearly thirty restaurants in  five states: Florida, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, New York and Delaware. I am so surprised that I've
never heard of this joint, but I have to thank my brother-in-law, Domenic, for introducing me to this gem.

The restaurant interior itself is nothing too unique for Italian joints - photos of Italian-American celebrities and local sports stars enjoying the pizza. However, one whiff of the pizza being served on pizza stands in the small dining room, one quickly forgets about the generic surroundings. I was impressed with the professionalism of the hostess/manager who was gracious and empathetic in telling us about the 25-30 minute wait. The service was friendly and I got a pretty good sense from the entire staff that they were very proud of their pizza. But the main show is really the "well done" pizza and from the looks of the crowds who waited in the rain during our visit, Anthony's is going to be around for quite awhile. Anthony, we need one in Grand Rapids!
The packed dining room at Anthony's Fort Lauderdale
Coal Oven Roasted Chicken Wings with Caramelized Onions and Focaccia
This was quite the pizza - Meatballs and Ricotta
I ordered a sid of Arugula Salad to top my pizza. An Italian classic
Eggplant Marino - the quarterback's favorite pizza made with pan fried eggplant,
tomato sauce, romano chess and basil
House Italian salad
Coal fired!

No comments: